Recycla and one of her daughters have sensitive skin — in fact, Recycla broke out in hives when she used conventional non-organic sunblock during spring break. Between that and her aversion to using conventional products with lots of chemicals, she only buys organic sunscreen.
Luckily, the Environmental Working Group has come out with their 2013 report on sunscreens, including the best ones. Recycla was able to easily and quickly make a list of products to look for at the store.
The important thing to remember is that you want to avoid certain ingredients, including oxybenzone. There are a number of helpful articles at the EWG’s website, including ingredients to avoid and general sun safety information.
In addition to using the right sunblock, don’t forget the following tips:
- Try to stay out of the sun from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- If you are outside, wear clothing and a hat that will help block the sun’s rays.
- Always wear sunscreen, even on overcast days.
- Apply sunscreen 15-30 minutes before going out.
- Use enough sunscreen to fill a shot glass and coat your body in a thick layer.
For years, Recycla was great about protecting her children, but for a long time did not take care of herself. However, she’s in her 40s and starting to realize that she needs to up her game, so she always wearssunblock when she goes out.
So be safe this summer and make sure that everyone in your household is wearing sunscreen when you go out!